Jay Peak | Jan 27-30, 2023
The Ski Trip is open to all MIT graduate students and post-docs. The trip includes 3 days of skiing, boarding, and frolicking. Jay Peak ranks among the finest ski resorts in New England with plenty of trails for all levels of skiing and boarding. A system of 9 lifts will take skiers and boarders to 79 trails, slopes, and glades.
We're super excited to bring MIT up to Jay Peak this year. So, save the date!
- Nine lifts serving 79 trails, slopes, and glades
- Special discounts on gear rental and lessons
- Skiing and riding at a much sought-after resort for a fraction of the regular price.
- MIT exclusive waterpark party (included in the package)
- Pump House indoor water park with hot tubs (both indoor + outdoor) available on other days (not included in the package, additional purchase necessary)
- Ice skating (not included in the package, additional purchase necessary)
- Clips & Reels Recreational Center complete with movie theater, arcades, and climbing wall (not included in the package, additional purchase necessary)
- High-quality accommodation with a full kitchen
- Jay Peak has 16 different restaurants on site (food not included in the package, additional purchase necessary)
- Tickets will cost $339 for those who are not taking the bus and $399 for those who are taking the bus.
- Tickets are limited!
- Ticket sales are open until Nov 26.
- Housing group selection is open until late December.
- A digitally signed copy of the liability waiver must be submitted by every participant by January 17, 2023.
- Email the organizers at email@example.com if you have not already received an email from DocuSign to sign the waiver.
- Buses will leave Friday, January 27, 2023 and return evening Monday, January 30, 2023. We will keep adding more details to the Trip Itinerary page. Keep checking back!
- ONLY grad students, post-docs and their guests are eligible.
- ONLY those over 21 years of age are eligible (IDs will be checked at the bus).
- All participants will be housed in condos. Jay Peak will be offering us 4 and 6 person condos.
- 4 person condos: 1 bedroom with 1 split king bed in bedroom and 1 queen sofa sleeper in the living room.
- 6 person condos: 2 bedrooms with 1 split king bed in master bedroom, 1 queen bed in another bedroom, and 1 queen sofa sleeper in the living room
- Each condo features a living room, full kitchen, and fireplace. Note that specific beds/furnishing may vary by condo, even among condos with similar floorplans.
We cannot take specific requests for certain condos.
See the condos here!
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I do if I have a question?
First, please carefully read through all the questions and answers on this page. There is a good chance it is answered here. If anything is still unclear, please send an email to gsc-skitrip[at]mit.edu
How much does the trip cost?
Tickets will cost $339 for those who are not taking the bus and $399 for those who are taking the bus.
What is included in the trip cost?
The 3-day lift ticket, 3 nights of lodging, water park access on a select day, and transportation (if bus option is selected) are included in the trip cost. There is also a free commemorative gift from Jay Peak for each participant!
What is not included in the trip cost?
Food, gear rentals, and lessons are not included in the trip cost.
When will registration for the trip open?
Tickets will be on sale from October 26 through Nov 26, 2022. Ticket exchanges will also close by Dec 15.
What do I need to register?
Who can go on the ski trip?
All MIT graduate students and postdocs are welcome on the trip. Each MIT attendee may also have one unaffiliated guest on the trip. Hosts and guests must be 21 or over.
Can MIT alumni also attend?
MIT alumni may attend the ski trip as guests of current MIT grad students or post-docs. For logistical and legal reasons, MIT alumni will not be able to buy tickets as hosts this year.
Cost and Payment
What if I don’t want to ski all three days or at all, is the trip cheaper?
No, this is an all-or-nothing deal. You pay the same price and will receive access to the mountain for all 3 days.
What payment methods are available for the trip?
We accept any credit card with a Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express logo on it. The billing address has to be in the United States.
Can I pay for my friend’s trip with my credit card?
Yes, you can pay for your friend.
I’m having trouble paying for the trip online.
Please contact gsc-skitrip[at]mit.edu.
I selected the wrong package type. What should I do?
All ticket sales are final. We cannot change your ticket or provide a refund. You may be able to use the ticket exchange, but we cannot guarantee that the ticket you want will be available.
How do guests register for the trip?
To bring a guest, the MIT graduate student/post doc must order two tickets: one ticket for themselves and one for their guest. After the MIT graduate student/postdoc registers for the trip and buys a second ticket for their guest, we will send a form to enter the guest’s email address and then send them a link to register. We will send this form within a few days of purchase. Only one guest per MIT graduate student/postdoc is allowed.
How do guests register for the trip?
Anyone that is not an MIT graduate student/postdoc. This would include friends, partners/spouses, and family. All guests, including family members, must be 21+.
Do guests pay a different price?
No, they pay the same as MIT students/postdocs.
Can I drive, while my guest takes the bus or vice versa?
How much are gear rentals?
A discounted rate is available through Jay Peak with the pricing for $25 per day (either ski or snowboard). You may choose to buy rentals for 1 day, 2 days, or all 3 days (though the lift tickets are only available all-or-nothing for all 3 days).
What rental packages are available?
Ski rentals include skis, boots, and poles. Snowboard rentals include board and boots.
How do I rent equipment for the trip?
You can get rentals reserved before December 20 by the following steps:
1. Go to https://jaypeakresort.com/#/widget/booking
2. Click on BOOK & BUY box on the top left of the page.
3. Select SKI & RIDE from the drop down list on the left.
4. On the right, indicate the first day (we are skiing 01/28-01/30) you would like to have rentals or lessons (each must be done separately) and click BUY NOW.
5. Choose “Adult Rental Packages” and the number of days you would like the rental.
6. Once you have your rentals and lessons in your cart, you click on your cart to check out. On the right side of the page, enter in the promo code given in the welcome email which will be sent to all ski trip participants to get your discount.
7. Checkout with your credit card information. The Ski-Trip and MIT are not responsible for these charges.
How can I obtain my rentals when we arrive?
You can pick them up when we arrive. Jay Peak will have all the rentals ready for pick up on arrival. Rentals can also be picked up on Saturday morning.
What is the cost of lessons at Jay Peak?
Ski or snowboard lessons (2 hours) are $20 for a beginner/first time lesson.
What times are the lessons?
10:00AM and 1:00PM on each day of the trip.
How will I indicate which group of friends I would like to stay with?
To let us know who you would like to stay with, please make sure to read and follow the directions for creating and joining groups. You will need to login to your website account to access instructions and submit your group preferences. A link to the group preferences page will be made available to all participants once group submission opens.
When will I be able to submit group preferences?
Group selection will be available later in December.
How many people per condo? Are there private rooms?
There are 4 and 6 person accommodations available. There will not be any private rooms. In most cases, 2 people need to share a bed.
Do I need to bring towels or bed sheets? How about kitchen appliances?
No, the condos are fully equipped, including full kitchens. You will probably want to bring some groceries.
Will free Wi-Fi be available?
Yes, free Wi-Fi will be available to all Ski Trip participants in their lodgings.
I am driving on my own. What about parking?
There is plenty of parking available at the resort.
Is there a grocery store nearby?
The resort has a variety of eateries to satisfy most tastes, as well as the Provisions General Store with some food products, beer, wine, and toiletries in case you forget anything.
How far from the slopes is the lodging?
Our condos will be a short shuttle ride away from the base lodge areas at Jay Peak.
Can I request my roommate(s)?
Yes. If you make groups, we will try our best to place people in the same group together in the same rooms or condo. You can take a look at the floorplans on the Lodging page to give you an idea of the types of rooms. Rooms generally sleep 2 people.
When will we depart MIT? When will we return?
We will depart MIT at 11:00 AM on Friday and return between 6-8:00 PM on Monday. The departure time is set to avoid Friday afternoon traffic. Please take a look at the Trip Itinerary page for a more detailed schedule.
If I don’t take the bus, but instead drive myself to Jay Peak, can I pay less for the trip?
Yes. A ticket including the bus will cost more than a ticket if driving yourself.
What happens if I test positive for COVID in the days approaching the trip?
In order to keep our community safe, if you are experiencing covid symptoms please stay home and take precautions. Should a student/participant on the Jay Peak Ski Trip test positive for COVID prior to the scheduled trip thus resulting in having to cancel, Jay Peak will provide a “snowcheck” to return within a calendar year for the ski days missed. This does not include lodging.
Can I get a refund if I decide not to go after paying for the trip?
We will not issue any refunds for the trip. However, for a limited amount of time after tickets sell out, you may find a replacement for your ticket. See the next question for more information.
I registered for the trip but no longer can/want to go. How can I sell my ticket?
There is a ticket exchange available until December 15. (https://mitgscapp.knack.com/ti...) After this date you will be unable to exchange your ticket with anyone else. You can list your ticket on the ticket exchange from your profile page. You will be given a unique code that someone else can use to claim your ticket. Once someone contacts you and pays for your ticket you should give them this code.
I didn’t register, the trip is sold out, but I still really want to go. How can I find a ticket?
You can still get a ticket using the ticket exchange until December 1. This feature is not available yet: keep an eye on your email for updates. After we set this up, you should contact a seller and arrange to pay them independently. Once you have paid them they will give you a unique code that you can enter on your profile page to transfer their ticket to you.
I sold my spot to another person, but my package cost more than the package that he wanted. Can I get a refund for the difference?
No. We will not issue any refunds. We encourage you to take this into consideration when buying/selling spots on the trip.
I have other questions that are not answered in the FAQs. Where should I send my questions?
Please double check to make sure your question has not been answered in this FAQ. If you still have questions, send an email to gsc-skitrip[at]mit.edu.
Refund Policy: There are no refunds on ticket purchases unless an event is cancelled. If an event is cancelled, arrangements will be made to refund all ticket holders.